708 E. Parker
American Legion Post 586
708 E. Parker, Houston, Texas 77076
October 28, 2017 9am – 5pm
Bloody Mary – $5 Turn-In Time: 11:00am
Cook’s Choice – $5 Turn-In Time: 1:00pm
Jackpot Beans – $10 Turn-In Time: 2:00pm
Chili – $25 Turn-In Time: 3:00pm
Spots are 10’x15′. First Come, First Serve! Contact Post at 713-691-7741.
No Trophies – 100% Entry Money Payouts to Winners
CHILI COOKING RULES
- CHILI MUST BE COOKED ON SITE – All chili must be cooked from scratch on site the day of the cookoff. All chili must be prepared in the open (no cooking in motorhomes, etc.).
- CHILI COOKED FROM SCRATCH – “Scratch” is defined as starting with raw meat. No marinating is allowed. Commercial chili powder is permissible, but complete commercial chili mixes (“just add meat” mixes that contain premeasured spices) are NOT permitted.
- NO FILLERS IN CHILI – Beans, macaroni, rice, hominy, or other similar ingredients are not permitted.
- SANITATION – Cooks are to prepare and cook chili in as sanitary a manner as possible.
- INSPECTION OF COOKING CONDITIONS – Cooking conditions are subject to inspection by the head judge or his/her designee. (Failure to comply is subject to disqualification.)
- COOKS MAY HAVE TO TASTE THEIR CHILI – At the discretion of the head judge chili cooks may be required to remove the lids from their chili cups and taste their chili before turning in for judging. (If a contestant refuses, his or her chili will be disqualified.)
- ONE CHILI PER COOK – Each head cook is responsible for preparing one pot of chili that he or she intends to be judged and turning in one judging cup from that pot. No more than one judging sample can be taken from any one pot.
- PROTECT THE JUDGING CUP – Once judging cups have been issued, each head cook is responsible for his or her judging cup. Cooks must not remove or tamper with the ticket on the outside of the cups. Any marked or altered cup must be replaced prior to turn-in or it will be disqualified. (See Sections A.4. and 5. for cup replacement.)
- FILLING CUPS – Cups must be filled to ¾ inch from the top of the cup or to the level designated at meeting.
- CHILI TURN-IN – Chili will be turned in at the place and time designated at the cooks’ meeting or as otherwise designated by the head judge. Entries must be turned in No Later Than 2-minutes after designated Turn-In Times.
Team Name: _________________________
Chief Cook Name: _______________________________
Phone Number: ______________________
Email Address: _________________________________
Chili _____ ($25) Beans _____ ($10)
Cook’s Choice _____ ($5) Bloody Mary _____ ($5)